- A professional welder should be able to tack a basic bumper/grill guard in 4 hours or less.
- Assess your own ability and choose accordingly. Pre-runners are much simpler than grill guards. A professional fabricator, on his first bumper, should be able to build a complete bumper/grill guard in a day. Repetition equates to efficiency.
- The most complex bumper can be built with basic welding tools, like:
- Mig welder capable of welding 1/4" plate.
- 4-1/2" angle grinder with grinding wheels, cutting wheels, and buffing wheels.
- Chop saw is convenient but not required.
- Welding blanket or some means of protection for the truck.
- The truck along with the bumper will act as the jig for a single project, professionals that make a living building these bumpers build jigs.
Caution: If you're not sure of the welding and tools mentioned here, it would be best for you to hire a professional to build your kit for you.